2.2.10

Facts Humans Love to Divulge

This is more of an observation than anything. Certain facts (I assume they are facts because they have been divulged so much to me) just seem to be really popular to share, and I wonder if I'm alone in this line of thought. My prime example is the fact that "a dogs mouth is actually cleaner than a humans. In fact if you get a cut, you should have a dog lick it off." I have heard one or both of these companion statements somewhere in the neighborhood of 143 times.

Yesterday, a co-worker informed me about a friend of hers who tried to stop a couple of dogs from fighting and received a minor bite from one of them on his thumb. The bite became infected and he ended up need to have a portion of his thumb amputated! That seemed to contradict the clean mouth theory I had heard so often.

Anyhow, my point in this post was to discover other facts (or "facts" as the case may be) that you've noticed people around you including perfect strangers are willing to share. In fact, did you know that (insert number between 1 and 99) percent of statistics are made up?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve Martin is Mormon. Did you know that?

Oh and Jewel was Mormon until she was 8.
-James

Anonymous said...

Every time I go into Home Depot with Ramone (dogs are allowed there. it is his 2nd favorite store behind PetsMart) The same worker comes up to me and tells me that Ridgebacks can run for 30 miles next to a horse.

He has told me this probably 15-20 times over the past year. Every time he tells me he acts like it is the first time he is telling me.
P.S this worker is not mentally handicapped.
-James

Travis Jacobson said...

My favorite is when people tell me that on average humans eat 5 spiders a year while they are sleeping.

Leslie said...

Brianna really likes to divulge information pertaining to her bodily functions with anybody who'll listen. Luckily, she's really cute, really animated, and only three, so she can get away with it.

Jason said...

My favorites are Mormon myths... Stuff people claim they are "positive" came from scripture, but magically, can never produce any results... Such an example is "I never said it'd be easy, I just said it'd be worth it." Is it true? I think so. Is it scriptural? Nope.

There are loads more of these, too.

Jesse C said...

These are great. Thanks for chiming in.

John said...

Sorry I'm way late to this party, but I've got to chime in. One of the science fair projects at our elementary school this year was comparing the petri dish bacterial growth from swabs of dog's mouths vs. mom's mouths.

The kid didn't do any analysis of what the different kinds of bacteria were growing, but I'll tell you what the nasty stuff that grew in the dog petri dishes was enough to keep me from letting any dog lick my face.

So don't believe the clean dog mouth thing. Yuck.