25.3.11

Happy Memories

Lately, it seems like there has been a lot of sad things happening to people I know and love. A large majority of these instances have been completely out of control of the people they are affecting the most. I thought it might be good to generate some discussion and sharing of happy memories. Seems how this is my idea I'll start.

Memory #1 - Last summer we attended our friends Jake and Eli's wedding reception. It was in a lush, green, secluded back yard on one of those perfect summer evenings. The light back there was incredible and Abby was having a great time dancing to the music and running in circles on the grass. We were there with some of our best friends, most of whom we hadn't seen for some time. I can't put my finger on exactly why it was so great, but I distinctly remember thinking that night that I was experiencing something very close to heaven.  I don't think I'll ever forget it.

Memory #2
- This one is hard to explain, and it is not so much a solitary memory because it has happened more than once. Sometimes when I'm in a social setting, I'll catch a glance of Natalie from across the room and for a second I'm seeing her again for the first time. It is similar to times when you see pictures or video of yourself from an angle your not used to seeing. It takes a second for you to realize who you are looking at followed by a flood of thoughts. Do I really walk like that? Etc. However, when this happens with Natalie, after the recognition takes place a flood of memories of our lives together comes into my brain and it makes me happy.

Memory #3 - I remember being a very young kid, and being incredibly excited for my older brothers to come home from college. I would watch tv with the volume low so I could listen for the back door and hear the familiar voice. It always seemed like an eternity waiting for them, but they always made me feel like a million bucks when the time finally came.

Please, share some good memories, I think we could all use them.

16 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh, Jesse. I loved reading these! Here are a few of mine:

#1 Last year, we went to the beach with Mom, April, and Leslie. Max was running around the beach, laughing and moving his body in the most carefree way. We all watched in wonder. It was intoxicating.

#2 I remember sleeping on the top of the houseboat at Lake Powell as a kid, amazed by the beauty and feeling so content.

#3 I loved our old Midvale house, our first house, and every little improvement we made. It felt so fun.

Rachel Neil said...

I remember when I was a child and me and my family were in the country for the summer months.
I went for a walk to pick wild blueberries and raspberries.
But there wasn't many on the bushes, so I had an idea.
I placed leaves on the bottom of my container and covered it all with berries.
I then went home and showed my container to my grandmother, she was impressed that we found that many berries, she was fooled.

Kate said...

I remember being a little kid in our little house. Summertime lasted forever. I'd play with the neighbors every day. We'd race bikes, run to the corner, make mud pits, go to the park, and eat enormous bowls of popcorn.

Jeremy said...

I could scream. I just spent the last 15 minutes thinking and typing and after I clicked the button to publish the comment, it told me my request could not be completed and erased everything.

Thanks blogger. *NOT a happy memory.

Lindy-Lou said...

I understand your angst (sp?)Jeremy. Try to remember how good you felt while you were writing those happy memories.

Jesse, this is a great idea. I've loved reading yours and the comments. I agree, it's good medicine. I love it when we are together and the house is full of laughter and coversation and music. There are so many.

I love that we are creating memories for our grandchildren. One recent one, is when Ollie raced through the house with Abby in hot pursuit, holding a rubber snake in her outstretched arm. It took us all by surprise and his expression was priceless.

Jesse C said...

These are some great memories. Thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear it Jer, that has happened to me and it is terrible. If I post long responses now, I copy and paste it to a notepad before I hit submit for that reason.

Shua said...

I remember a couple years ago when Alex and I stayed at Pineview every single day for the entire week that Grandma and Grandfather had reserved the campsite, even though our families only stayed for 2 or 3 days.

I remember on the last day we were taking our last ski, I was laying in the bow of the boat, completely exhausted and so happy. Someone turned Billy's Innocent Man album on the stereo. Grandma commented, "Nice of you to join us, Billy." I remember thinking about how happy I was and wishing that the trip would never end.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ellie said...

These were sweet memories.

I used to go on long drives with my family to my grandparents..in the hill country during blue bonnet time. Oh, my brother was never fond of the experience, but Mom would make us get out on the side of the road to be in a picture of blue bonnets. I'm glad I have those pictures now.

James said...

1. Being clobbered by Oliver, Ramone and DeDe when I came home from work sometime in February. As soon as I pulled up in from of our house and open my car door. I hear Ollie yelling "Hello Daddy" and he was running out to meet me, Ramone came flying from behind him and jumped up to lick my face and then DeDe was there as a grande finale. It was a pretty amazing homecoming.

2. The MLS Cup Final in Seattle with Oliver, DeDe, and tons of friends. I remember right when we got to the stadium and there was this amazing buzz in the air and DeDe looked over to me and said, "I am really glad we are here". Then just before the final kick when we won it all DeDe was as giddy as one could get and DeDe turned and asked, "If we score this do we win?" We Scored. We Won. This was followed by jubilation and hugs and high fives with a lot of strangers. That was a pretty sweet memory.

The Set said...

Oh.. This is so special! : D

Braydon said...

great artical to read in this good
==============
non voice projects

Unknown said...

emember being a little kid in our little house. Summertime lasted forever. I'd play with the neighbors every day. We'd race bikes, run to the corner, make mud pits,

Unknown said...

emember being a little kid in our little house. Summertime lasted forever. I'd play with the neighbors every day. We'd race bikes, run to the corner, make mud pits,

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

#1 Last year, we went to the beach with Mom, April, and Leslie. Max was running around the beach, laughing and moving his body in the most carefree way. We all watched in wonder. It was intoxicating.