10.4.08

Answers...

What is the ultimate "Goal," in life for you (no, not soccer)?
For myself, my family, friends and loved ones to be truly happy.

How did you know Natalie was the one for you?
She compliments me, her strengths help compensate where I fall short and vise-versa. When I'm around her, I want to be a better person.

What is your favorite guilty pleasure band/artist?
This depends on who I'm with. At work, it's Billy Joel. At home DRI or the like. With certain friends (I won't name names), Boston.

What was the favorite time period in your life and why? Can't say mission, marriage or baby...those are all givens for bests.
It's hard to just say one, so using your guidelines and in chronological order:
1. Sophomore year of high school: This is when James and I became really close. He really was way cool to let his little brother hang out with him and all his friends. I made a lot of life long friends in the process. Sometimes hanging out with them felt like I was living in a Seinfeld episode, there was constant and hilarious witty banter.
2. Junior year of high school: camping, Old School Crew, girls volleyball matches, basketball games, football games, BBQ VIP's. Another great group of life long friends.
3. First semester of college: I got good grades, but 80-90% of my time and focus was dedicated to fun. Living on my own for the first time was amazing. Coed intramural soccer (go Slayer!), kickball, ramen, totino's pizza, foursquare, Dr. Mario, and just hanging out. Another hilarious group of friends. Sadly, I haven't kept in contact with a lot of that group, but it still remains one of my greatest times in life.
4. The Crap House: what can I say. It was such an interesting time in life for all of us. Once again, a majority of time and focus was on having fun. Halloween party was amazing, Halo, nephews visit, trying to date girls, Dr. Mario tournament, $2 tuesdays roller skating, 30 Life Code, BBQ's, awesome messages on the whiteboard, working at Wendy's, and hitting an all time low.

Briefly describe the best failed pick up attempt for a girl you ever had.
When I worked at Wendy's there was a really cute manager who I had a little crush on. She broke her leg shortly after I started, so I didn't ever really see her much at all before I realized that I would be more successful at making money by trying to grow it on trees (or working at Convergys). Anyway, a few months after quitting, I went to Wendy's to get some food with my friend Tyson. I saw that she was working, and when we left I told Tyson how I regretted never asking her to hang out. I along with Tyson convinced myself it would be a good idea to leave a note on her car explaining why she should hang out with me. It was pretty awesome. If any of you have ever receive a long, entertaining phone message from me it was probably along those lines. Needless to say, she never called, and it was pretty akward when my friend and roommate Heath brought her over to hang out. He made sure to remind her who I was.

Does anyone ever call you Bad Dawg anymore?
You (Brad) and Jeremy Reitz, and sometimes Brady.


Was it during your mission that people stopped calling you Bad Dawg?
I think so. I remember getting quite a few letters addressed to Elder Bad Dawg Crowley, so I think it gradually wore off during and after.

Deep down did you like or dislike being called Bad Dawg?
Deep down I appriciated the irony. I'm so not a Bad Dawg. I also that it was great to have a bunch of friends with great (and ridiculous) nicknames: Dr. J, Dog Bone, Loc Dogg, B-Rad, Fatty-J, Jimbo, Bad Dawg, etc.

How far into your realationship with Natalie did she find out about you being called Bad Dawg?
It was months. We might have even been engaged at that point.

Did she believe you?
I think someone called me it, and it was one of those moments... "Bad Dawg?"


What was the best/worst part of being the baby of the family?
Best: I think Mom and Dad were pretty mellow by the time I came through.
Worst: Not getting to live with my older siblings for very long.

Your favorite college class (and why)?
Advanced Graphic Interface Design. It was a Flash class. I had a great professor, good friends, did well on my projects, learned a lot every time, and knew that what I was learning was making me a much more valuable employee. Honorable mentions: any Alan Hashimoto, Chris Terry, or Professor Henemann class.

How do you feel about your diaper changing skills?
A little shaky, but it's like riding a bike, right?

When you write songs, do you write the music first, or the lyrics, or do they come together?
Usually, the basic musical idea comes first. Then, I try to write lyrics and put the song structure together at the same time.

If you had to name your greatest musical inspiration, who would it be?
Johnny Cash.

How long does it generally take people to find out how funny you are?
Apparently for you Tiff, 26 years. Just kidding. I remember last summer at dinner with Natalie's family, her brother set himself for a joke about 3 times and nobody was taking it. I took a swing and hit a home run. When the laughter died down he chuckled and said, "Welcome to the family, Jesse."

You have to choose between signing a major record deal or a MLS contract. Which do you choose?
A really tough one. I think I'd take the record deal just because there's something tangible at the end to take away from it. Some guys get an MLS contract and get hurt or never really play.

How did you manage to keep the mission rule and not sneak into Old Trafford for at least one match? You did keep the mission rule didn't you?
It was hard when you would come home and hear the crowd singing and chanting. I think the fact of constantly having a companion makes things like that easier. I did take a tour of the stadium on p-day and somehow bumped into their legendary coach, Sir Alex Ferguson. I got his autograph. I guess you could say I was blessed for keeping the rule of not attending any matches.

Favorite food that's green?
Guacamole. Or if this counts, Mom's spinach lasagna.

Why is it that so many of the great creative artists of our time lead such tragic lives?
That's a good question, and it has made me think about it for the last couple of days. Ultimately, art is about communication, about making a connection with the viewer or hearer. I think some of the most talented artists are so ahead of their time, that people have a hard time connecting with their work. I think that would wear on an artist, being totally driven to communicate to people who don't want to listen.


Favorite mixed taped you've made?
Top 3:
1. February 14th. Probably my best mix tape work ever. The songs flow really well from one to the other without being repetitive. A great road trip mix.
2. Love, The Ups and the Downs. Self explainitory.
3. Can't Remember the Name. A mix I made for my first girlfriend in college, Katie Olsen.

Dream automible?
Cadillac CTS - such amazing lines. Classy and sporty. In black please.

When did the "Frozen Buritto" health fix start or come about?
It just sounded good after all those Fat Boys, it was inspired I suppose.

How do you make such incredible face expressions at extended-family-nights?
I guess you could say I was being a Jim to Dad's Michael Scott.

What was your favorite part about growing up in the Crowley Family?
Being a part of a family that played hard, worked hard, and was committed to living the gospel.

How do you feel about Christiano Ronaldo upon his "closet exiting"?
You'll have to fill me in on that.

Favorite soccer player of all time and eternity?
This is really hard. Can't say just one:
Diego Maradona. He put a team on his back and carried them to a World Cup.
Pele'. Burst on to the scene at 17 by scoring 3 goals in semis and 2 in the final of the World Cup.
Jurgen Klinsmann. Won 1990 World Cup. One of the deadliest, most clinical strikers to ever play.
Christiano Ronaldo. Needs to win a Champions League or World Cup, but has potential to be a top 5 all time player.

Pirates vs. Vikings. Even numbers even weapons. Who wins in battle?
A very good question. It would be a good battle, the Pirates would get some cheap shots in, but the Vikings would win. They are simply more battle tested and organized.

Rodent fur on arms or creepy seal laugh?
Another great question. I would take the seal laugh. It would catch on, and I would be the funny seal laugh guy.

7 comments:

Hallie said...

good answers Jesse!

Jeremy has all you boys programed into his phone with your nicknames and it awlays throws me off when he asks me to see who it is!

Jeremy said...

What up BAD DAWG. How's that? Do I really not call you Bad Dawg anymore? I know I semi-constantly refer to you as Bad Dawg to others when mentioning you and Hallie's right, I have all the nicknames in my phone-your right, our nicknames were both awesome and ridiculous.

Just wondering why you didn't list Prof. Robson's World Religion class as one of your faves? I could've swore you loved it.

And why Johnny Cash and not Billy Joel? I was totally expecting Billy Joel since he's been there from the beginning of your musical experience.

Anonymous said...

You're awesome buddy.

Tiffany said...

Great answers, Jess. (Although I knew you were funny WAY earlier than you claim. It was like five or six years before that.)

Jesse C said...

Jeremy,

I guess you still call me Bad Dawg sometimes, but I think it's usually "man" or "dude."

Billy Joel is a big inspiration to me. I've been on a country kick lately so that's probably why Johnny won out in my mind.

I'm still completely blown away that you took more classes from Robson. You know what they say, "Fool me once, I suffer through a waste of a class. Fool me twice, I think an easy A is worth a semester of mind numbing dribble torture."

Jeremy said...

Oh, so that's what they say...

Amanda said...

Hey, this is Mrs. Flamm

I enjoyed you question and answer post. I, like Jeremy would have thought you would choose Bill Joel over Johnny Cash..so you are probably thinking "You don't know me that well, what are you talking about"..well, when I first started hanging out with Jim (he was who I was dating at the time) I watched a home video of you driving a car and singing Billy Joel songs. Still when I hear Movin' Out I see your face. Everyone always talked about how much you loved the man.

Oh, Congratulations on your baby girl. That Rocks!