4.6.08

Firsts and Lasts

As the fateful day draws ever closer, I can't help but feel some anxiousness and apprehension about the coming addition to our family. I'm starting to have thoughts like "why haven't we traveled more? I've never been to D.C., Boston, New York, Mexico, Canada, The Carribeean, or Europe."

It's not that I'm not excited to be a Dad and all that goes with it, it's just that from the moment she's born I know that my life is not my life anymore. I actually see it as a positive, part of what was so special about my mission was that I was completely outwardly focused for those two years. The transition to focusing on my own life was the hardest thing about returning. Marriage has made me more outwardly focused, but Natalie and I are both very independent. Having a new completely dependent human in the home will change everything for both of us. The time has already flown by, and I'm sure the baby will be here before we know it. Here are some quick lists of things to get done before the baby arrives. Your suggestions will be most appreciated.

Things I must get done before the baby comes:
1. Help Natalie put the nursery together.
2. Do some art for the nursery.
3. Be supportive when we have to buy everything brand new even when friends and family offer their very nice, slightly used non-clothes baby stuff.
4. Organize and host City Cup 2008 soccer tournament and BBQ (This Saturday at 2:00, check)

Things I hope to get done before the baby comes:
1. Set up a painting studio in the basement.
2. Find some people to play rock and roll music with.
3. Write some more songs (Natalie has requested a lullaby).
4. Learn how to take care of a baby.
5. Buy a piano and learn how to play it.

Things I will regret having not done before the baby comes:
1. That's where you guys come in.
2. Whether you've been there or not, let us know what we should do with our last couple months.

11 comments:

Jeremy said...

Here, here Jesse. I too have had the same thoughts and feelings cross my mind. I keep telling myself that I'll still get to do those things, but in good time. There's a lot of young families in our ward and they seem to travel, etc. I guess it's just a matter of waiting till the child/children can handle some traveling or finding a good babysitter if the little tykes can't come along.

I would suggest playing loud music at loud volumes before she comes, cause you know that after you will begin to tip-toe everywhere you go and with everything you do, so as to keep the young one from crying.

Also, you should hang out with your friends (hint, hint) every weekend because you'll soon become shut-ins to sociality for a while once she arrives.

Anonymous said...

I would try to get some sort of trip in but besides that it doesn't matter much. Eating out was one of my favorite things but I don't even really miss it.

Jessica said...

How about wear all your nicest clothes for the next couple of months before you have to worry about the constant film of spit up, drool and poop.

Wish we could be there for the BBQ this weekend. We are doing a 12 hour cancer Rely for Life for Aus's brother in Smithfield. This summer is too busy to hang out with everyone we would like to spend time with! It's getting kind of frustrating :I

Kate said...

A word of advice on baby care. (Ok, so I'm not a parent, but I am the oldest child and I happen to have ten years of younger sibling experience under my belt.)

1. The most important thing to remember when changing a poopy diaper is to breathe through your mouth.
2. It's perfectly fine to skip pages in story books when you are tired.
3. Having a small child is a great opportunity to eat Cheerios in church. (Don't worry, no one's going to notice, I do it all the time.)
4. Small children have the most fun when they are making a mess.
5. Trying to convince an active toddler to sit in a stroller is futile. But keep hauling it along, just in case.
6. Baby Einstien is awesome.

Lindy-Lou said...

Keep having your family prayers, scripture study and fhe. You will hit and miss for a while, but if the habit is established, you'll get back to it soon and the little princess will be included from a v e r y young age. Talk to her. She knows your voice. Sing to her. Prepare to be awed and love-struck. When she comes, don't tip-toe. She's already used to the normal sounds of your life, though muffled. She'll adapt.

cutie crowley said...

Hi this is you niece Elizabeth. Sorry this is out of the blue, but is there any possible way that you could coach a U13 girls soccer team??
Please reply to elizabethc95@yahoo.com

cutie crowley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda said...

It's already been said, but I would plan an awesome trip with just you and your honey before baby.
You WILL be able to travel once you have your little girl, but it is a nice way to bond with your wife.
Millie has already been on over 30 flights in her 2 years of life. She was 6 weeks when we 1st took her to Mexico and We have even hit the Vatican with her and been alright.

Shua said...

Littke experience in this area, I have. Only absolute truth I shall relate:

Much soccer you must play,
To Billy Joel you will listen,
Waterski you must.

Much happiness and added measure of the force these will bring.

Leslie said...

Any home improvement projects will be much easier before she's mobile. Also, any spur of the moment travelling is easier (meaning a TON less stuff to take) before she arrives, but most babies travel well when they're little, so that's not the end of travel.
I agree with mom, DON'T tip-toe around. Babies will adapt, and if all you give her is a whisper quiet environment, then anything else will be upsetting. Let her enjoy the sounds of real life.

Shelby said...

Jesse, I'm a little late on this post, but I suggest date nights out of the house as much as possible. Especially to things like movies (if you like movies that is). I think we saw about 3 movies in Allie's first year of life. I missed going out a lot. Once they get a little older, you can do that again with a babysitter, but for a while you feel pretty homebound.