19.5.08

Meet the Locals

As a part of my job, sometimes it is my responsibility to find local bands to open for some of our shows. I'm trying to get to know more of what the local scene has to offer, and so far I've come across some really great stuff. I think it would be a shame if I didn't encourage others to check it out. With that in mind, I've decided to make this "Meet the Locals" a semi-regular feature on my blog. Hopefully it will give me more incentive to reach out and find more local talent while providing new entertainment options for my eight dedicated readers. Today I will feature three bands from three genres, but I can't promise three every time in the future. For most of these bands, the only way to hear their music is to visit their myspace page. I realize that shows like "To Catch a Predator" have given myspace a bad name, but it is pretty cool that one website hosts profiles and 3 to 7 songs from 98.66% of bands in the world. If you want to hear what a band sounds like, typing www.myspace.com/bandname will usually answer your question in a matter of seconds.


Band Of Annuals
band of annuals myspace
One of the more talented bands to come out of Salt lake, it is nice to see that they are enjoying some level of success. As stated in previous posts, I've been really into alt country lately. If you need a good sampling of fantastic alt country, look no further than Band Of Annuals.


Alaska And Me
alaska and me myspace
I think these guys are half in Utah and half in Arizona most of the time from what I can tell, but I will claim them. The Format have apparently called it quits. If you are looking for a new indie pop band to fill the void, you can't go wrong with these guys.


The Playdead Movement
the playdead movement myspace
I will always love a soft spot in my heart for punk rock, but I think my taste for new bands is getting more astute. These guys have a street sound, and like their idols (Rancid, Operation Ivy, The Clash) they have figured out that good song writing is just as important as nailing your muttered vocals. They put on as good a show as I've ever seen from locals, and will be performing at the Rancid show in September.

4 comments:

John said...

Great new feature. Count me as a new fan of Alt Country. Great stuff.

Tiffany said...

I downloaded Band of Annuals at your recommendation a while ago and love it. I always trust your taste!

Shua said...

Although it's probably a ridiculous question: Have you ever heard of the band "Faid"? They're a rock band from my high school. I only ask because their drummer is constantly talking about how great they are and how they're probably going to get a record deal, quit high school, and tour the country pretty soon. I know, it's ridiculous, but as someone who knows a lot more bands (particularly local) I was wondering if you had even heard of them.

Jesse C said...

I haven't heard of them, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. I tried to find them on the web and only found FADE (aka Playa Montana) - a rapper from Ogden, and FADE 7 who describe themselves as "Name has been chosen - Members yet to be formed."

p.s. don't listen to the rapper, not the cleanest lyrics.