10.9.09

Worse Than Texting and Driving?

Despite all that is said about the dangers and stupidity of texting and driving, I still see it happen on a regular basis. It's pretty disturbing, but this morning on my way to work I saw something even more stupid and dangerous. A woman in a black car passes me at approximately 75 mph. I glance over and see her shoveling a spoonful of cold cereal into her mouth!

I'll admit it, I have been known on occasion to eat food while I drive, but seriously cold cereal? I'm not sure what had control of the wheel because her left hand was holding the bowl up to her greedy face, and her right hand was busy with the spoon. She must have had a third hand, because I noticed her fiddle with the radio and then her hair as she pulled further away from me and swerved in and out of the HOV lane.

It got me thinking, has anybody seen anybody doing anything more stupid while driving? Chime in, I'm curious.

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

No, that wins. Hands down. (No pun intended. At first.)

Leslie said...

Where does 'watching a movie that's playing on your iphone which is resting on the dashboard and reflecting in the windshield at night' fit in to this contest?
Oh ya, and add in that the driver is perpetually sleep-deprived, and had just worked a 12 hour day, and now has a long drive ahead.

Jeremy said...

Some idiot teenager up here just got a ticket for doing the same thing. He was going 45 mph in a SCHOOL ZONE! Funny, but I've become one of those people in neighborhoods who yell at cars that are going too fast. I think it's because I'm a father now...

Hallie said...

to add to Jeremy's comment the cop that pulled him over was so shocked he took a picture!

Snake said...

My father-in-law likes to drive, eat, and read magazines at the same time. Not just anything, but salads, which is as bad as cold cereal. He says he likes to see how many things he can do at once. We have almost died multiple times because of it. BUT, maybe it's okay (NOT), because he is reading health magazines. It pisses me right off.

Roger Emmer said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWGpZwwoM8

Brad K. said...

We saw a girl reading last week. I tried to have Maeve take a picture of it but it didn't work out.

ali said...

Ugh. I liked your use of the word "greedy." It was perfect.

Austin said...

I noticed that the guy driving for my carpool started to take longer and longer blinks, so I decided to keep him talking to save our lives. The road I travel to work has a cliff on one side with no guard rail.

Annie said...

Listening to Meat Loaf while driving--the spontaneous bouts of sheer passion elicited by his music are hazardous to motorists, to say the least.

Jesse C said...

I agree. "I would do anything for love" is so emotional I don't know how any human with a heart could focus on driving with misty eyes and being caught up in pure genius.