23.2.08

100 Thingys Numero Dos

51. I'm currently working on writing and recording some alt-county tunes.

52. Sometimes I really like them, sometimes I can only hear what's wrong with them.

53. The past year or so, I've gotten pretty lazy about shaving every day.

54. Natalie hates number 53.

55. I had really long hair my senior year of high school/first semester of college.

56. The top was long, and it was shaved up underneath. At the time, lots of people told me how much they loved it.

57. I wonder if they were just being nice.

58. Baggy shirts, pants, and shorts were in style at the time.

59. Dad told us how silly it was, and I told him how silly he was: with his clothes that actually fit his body and all.

60. Whilst living in Cache Valley, I discovered Wrangler jeans.

61. While I'm promoting clothing, let me put in a plug for Gold Toe socks. They are amazing, I had about 5 pair last my entire mission.

62. I'd say about 90-95% of my wardrobe was previously owned when I bought it.

63. I guess I never grew out of the hand-me-down mentality.

64. My teeth weren't very straight in elementary school.

65. Dad made me push them into place.

66. It actually kind of worked.

67. Tell that to your orthodontist.

68. I still remember the look on the dental assistant's face when Dad told her our plan of action for straightening my teeth.

69. Oh boy.

70. I've recently read a couple of Kurt Vonnegut books. It's amazing how something can be so funny and so sad at the same time.

71. In middle school, I borrowed a tape from James that I think Curtis had recorded for him. It was Lagwagon Duh on one side, and Lagwagon Hoss on the other.

72. At first I thought it was pretty weird.

73. I gave it some more listens, and absolutely loved it.

74. I had never heard rock that was as passionate and intense while still being melodic. I had never really heard rock that had a message, that was not spitting out the same tired garble about love.

75. They became my favorite band for a while, along with Boston of course.

76. This led to a whole new world of music and some of my favorites included: Strung Out, Face to Face, The Descendents, Bad Religion, CIV, D.R.I., A.F.I., The Bouncing Souls, The Vandals, among many others.

77. I remember going to Sick of It All/A.F.I. with Jeremy in 1998 I think. I had never and still have never seen someone command the stage like Davey Havoc did at that show.

78. The mission provided a break from punk rock music.

79. You'd think with 13 million Mormons in the world, there would be a wider and better selection of mission appropriate music.

80. Natalie is waiting for me. She's not that into blogs at all.

81. It's kind of weird.

82. After all, I am her husband, and I'm terribly interesting.

83. The music landscape was different after my mission, the internet being the main catalyst for the change.

84. People actually wore clothes that fit them. Cars seemed huge. Skaters were not just cool, but everyone was trying to dress like them. The government had built skate parks everywhere.

85. Almost all of my friends had long, shaggy hair. I was jealous. I had come to the sad conclusion that my haircut would pretty much be the same for the rest of my life. Long hair just doesn't work for me.

86. I remember Jeremy burned me a bunch of new music of bands that I needed to hear. These included Taking Back Sunday, Thursday, and Saves the Day.

87. I really tried to like Thursday, but it just never really clicked for me.

88. Most of the music I have ever loved, I discovered through Jeremy or James.

89. Thanks guys.

90. For a lot of my adult life, I have had a "number one t-shirt."

91. I think I have a lot of solid t-shirts, but no clear number one shirt.

92. Natalie is getting impatient, so I'm hurrying.

93. We have to go change the oil in our vehicles. It's just a part of life.

94. If you haven't heard yet, Natalie and I are having a baby.

95. Natalie will do most of the work, and I will try to support. ( speaking of the labor )

96. She's been sick a lot lately, and I don't really know what to do to make her feel better. I have in the process discovered ways to make her feel worse.

97. I'm almost freaking done.

98. I'm wearing a striped, button up shirt.

99. I have never owned a really good pair of headphones.

100. Despite my obvious love of music, I have yet to obtain an ipod.

9 comments:

Hallie said...

I relly like how you put #95 & #96, and #82 cause you are really intresting! And thanks for comming skating it was really fun we miss going like we used to in Logan. We also came to the conclusion that those tuesday night skates were probably why Jeremy and I were such better looking while we lived there!

Jeremy said...

More comments, but first let me clarify what Hallie said: I think she meant better looking as in we each weighed a great deal less-we're really not too conceded!
Anyways:
56: When I died my hair black (who knows why I did that) everyone said it looked good. I didn't ask, they just told me. After I cut it several people told me it was horrible and that I looked like a "Fag." That has taught me people don't have the guts to tell the truth.
71: I remember how many bands Curtis introduced me to. And I remember the time his dad heard a tape I made for Curtis of a new album I had of a band we both mutually liked and I think that he may have even introduced me to and his dad hated it and called it "Disgusting music." After that I was dubbed the "Out-of-control," friend.
77: How I long for those olden AFI days...
84-85: I experienced the same strangeness. Before my mission I got made fun of for skating, having long hair and wearing studded belts and coats, etc. and when I got home EVERYONE was-I once saw a girl with a studded belt on at church and that blew my mind how accepted they had become.
86-87: I swear if you listened to their 1st and 2nd albums again you'd change your mind. They are pure brilliance and created hundreds of crappy copycat bands.
88: Thanks. That means a lot.
96: As well-intending men, I think we usually do make things worse and not better. I know that's usually the case for me. When Hallie's not feeling good, for whatever reason I'm always really obnoxious without trying to be or something like that.

Anonymous said...

Jesse! Hey, welcome to blogging. Great list.

At first, I thought #90 meant this http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Evel_Kneivel_Number_one-T.jpg

#50: can't wait to hear it.

#64 & #65: Me too.

#96: The only thing I can think of is do "exactly" as you're told. Best of luck.

Jesse C said...

That is a pretty sweet shirt with a number one on it. I should have explained myself better. A number one shirt is your "goto" shirt. The one that you feel proud to wear on almost any occasion. It fits right, it feels right, and it makes you feel good about yourself when you wear it.

Tiffany said...

I am very excited to hear your alt-country hits and I hope you'll let me sing a little in the background. I could probably handle that.

I thought your long hair was cool.

Dad made me push my teeth too. I think the orthodontists union would have him/us killed if they saw our teeth.

I'm a little floored that you don't have an iPod. I only got one for Christmas, so maybe there's hope for you too. :)

Great list!

Jesse C said...

We actually bought an ipod about an hour after I finished this post. We weren't even planning on it. We have been trying to figure out a family stereo option, cause my little built in computer speakers aren't quite loud enough to play music while doing the chores and such. We decided an ipod and a docking station would be the ticket.

James said...

This is a great list brother.

I need a new go to t-shirt.

I remember your sweet NASA t-shirt. I wore it to a Modest Mouse concert and the guy behind the t-shirt sales table offered to give me any shirt on the table for your NASA t-shirt.

WICKHAM, DUSTIN D. said...

Wait, you can actually push your teeth into place? How does this work? I'm baffled.

Jesse C said...

Every night before you go to bed, push the crooked tooth in the direction it should be heading. Push hard enough that it hurts. Try to keep this up for at least 10 minutes. Results aren't immediate, but it does eventually move them.