3.3.08

Ipod Shuffle

The last fact on my "100 things" list stated that I do not currently own an ipod. Less than two hours from the time I typed the period on that last sentence, I had an 80 gig video ipod. We hadn't even planned on it. The purchase, as many people told me it would, has changed my life. In celebration of my new musical journey, I wish to do the ipod shuffle post. I've loved reading others, and now it is my turn, so without further interruption:

1. Rivers Cuomo - Blast Off! I remember learning a long time ago that Rivers Cuomo is a very prolific song writer. It was bound to happen someday that some of his songs that never made it onto Weezer albums would be released. The time has come, and he has once again displayed his knack for writing catchy, riff driven rock and roll. I love the raw quality of his home recordings on this album, and wonder why some (any) of these songs didn't replace the horrible and worthless "Beverley Hills" on Weezer's most recent album, Make Believe.

2. Tiger Army - Last Night From their first album, this song stands out with a great bass line, solos, and melody. I recently read that this is Geoff Kresge's (their bassist's) favorite song to play live. It's not surprising.

3. Johnny Cash - The Ways of a Woman In Love I love Johnny Cash. This is an early track, and one that shows how influential country music was on the development of early rock and roll. There's a great piano solo and great chorus in this one.

4. The Bouncing Souls - So Jersey Great bands are never satisfied with what they may have accomplished. I've heard die hard Bouncing Souls fans rip on their latest two albums "Anchors Aweigh" and "The Gold Record." I find it much easier to appreciate the latter when I know the context: The Souls moved to Ashbury Park, NJ (Bruce Springstien's town) to write and record this album. The Boss' influence is heard throughout the album, but especially for me on this track. I'm writing way too much about these.

5. Band of Horses - I Go To The Barn Because I Like The I had heard of this band and heard their music separately. When I finally put the two together, I agreed with all the praises I had heard of their songs. This is a mid-tempo ballad featuring a little pedal steel guitar. I'm kind of obsessed with these types of songs right now so this is a big winner in my book.

6. The Cure - Let's Go To Bed The Cure are one of the greatest bands of our generation. Period. You've got to love bands who have the guts to be trailblazers rather than copycats. Due to it's tight bass line and silky drumming, this song has a great "Clash-like" groove to it.

7. Mason Jennings - Jesus Are You Real? Mason: Yes. Okay, it's not my question to answer. This is Mason Jennings at his best: a composed, contemplative acoustic ballad.

8. The Format - Tune Out A band that I tried to hate, but ended up loving. A friend burned this album for me. I put in on once when I was in a bad mood. About half of one song played before it was removed and replaced. Months went by, and I gave it one more try. If you are ever in the mood for creative and intelligent indie pop, it doesn't get much better than this.

9. The Weakerthans - Left And Leaving Grown-up, sophisticated punk rock. Seems like that would be a contradiction in terms, but these guys pull it off. Over the top is replaced by understated. It's really good.

10. Against Me! - Don't Lose Touch The blogging gods must be smiling down on me because I couldn't ask for a better song to end my Ipod shuffle. This is my favorite song by my favorite band. In Fact, this was the first song that graced the earbuds of my brand new ipod.

It's been fun, but my lunch break is over.

5 comments:

John said...

I love these things. I love learning about new bands/artists that I need to check out.

Jeremy said...

Awesome post! You couldn't have gotten better songs on your shuffle. Of course your iPod is still in its infancy, so you probably don't have it clutter yet with stuff that is unfamiliar and that you're still undecided on...

...anyways, two things:
1. Who burned the Format cd for you? Just curious. I had the same feelings about The Format, but one week I started listening to them and it just clicked.
2. Is Against Me! really your favorite band right now? Don't get me wrong, I've thought for years they were an extremely talented bunch of guys, but what makes them your favorite if I may ask?

Jesse C said...

1. Steph Winger burned it for me.

2. I don't know, they just "get it." I think great punk bands are able to take inspiration from great rock of the past while putting their own stamp on it. There's a simplicity and rawness to their songs that is not a result of laziness or incompetence. Rather, it's being able to know when to stop adding new elements.

Jeremy said...

Well said.

Tiffany said...

I have so much to learn from you. This list is very cool.