8.3.08

Think Ahead

A week ago last Friday, I attended with many of my family members the funeral of my cousin Vicki. She was in Hawaii when she died tragically in a motorcycle accident. It was so interesting to hear more about her life, and to learn about the kind of daughter, mother, and co-worker she was. She was so full of life, and such a positive and friendly person. Her father, my uncle Vern, spoke. Before he began speaking about Vicki, he spoke plainly and directly to all in attendance relating the importance of completing a will and making it clear to your family where you would like to be buried. He went on to relate some very tender stories of experiences he had shared with Vicki. It was a touching, poignant message.

It did get me thinking, and I have had some desire to make a will. Natalie and I recently invested in life insurance policies which would keep a roof over our heads and food in our bellies should tragedy strike one of us. As if we needed to learn this lesson any more, we learned this week that Natalie's uncle Dave was hospitalized with a severe case of pneumonia caused from a nasty bacterial infection. He was put into an induced coma to help ease the strain on his lungs. Unfortunately, after his condition had stabilized for a couple of days, it became apparent that none of the treatments were improving anything. The doctors were at a loss, and on Thursday of this week he passed away leaving behind a wife and four children. It's hard for me to imagine that there is something so pressing on the other side of the veil that require the head of a household to leave his family in such a situation. I know things get said either way. I do know that there is a time appointed for men to die, and I know that tragedies are allowed to happen. The truth is, we'll never know anything for sure until sometime in the next life.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that nothing is certain for us, and that it is important for responsible adults to take the steps necessary to ensure the safety, security, and peace of mind of those who we might unexpectedly leave behind. Sorry if this post is a downer.

8 comments:

Leslie said...

My condolences to Natalie and her family. It's true that we never know how much time we will be allowed here on earth, and that it is wise to make a plan -- especially for those we might leave behind

John said...

So sad to hear about Natalie's uncle. It is very sobering when life is cut short.

You just have to make the most of every day.

Lindy-Lou said...

Very sad to hear of Natalie's uncle. I agree with your counsel. If we don't schedule a time to take care of such things, it never happens. Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Tiffany said...

So sorry about Natalie's uncle. Life is too short, indeed.

Jeremy said...

Sorry to hear about this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you both.

WICKHAM, DUSTIN D. said...

thanks for sharing this. I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of both your cousin and natalie's uncle. that stuff is heavy.

Anonymous said...

My condolences to Natalie and her family as well. Thanks for your thoughts. Very important.
April

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your Uncle Dave and the shock to his family and the adjustments that will have ot be made. We will all miss Vicki. Life is very fragil! Mother and I have burial plots in the same cemetery as Vic and Venitta my dad and mom. Vern and Dorothy and Vicki and mom and I have them all together in a row.

Dad C