17.11.08

Makes Me Want To Cry



For those of you who are RSL fans, the images above may be too disturbing to handle. New York came to Rio Tinto Stadium and got the counter attack goal they were looking for. Olave's mistake turned a harmless pass to the slow and lurpy John Wolnyac on the sideline into one of two New York scoring chances for the entire match. They capitalized on the chance through their other slow and lurpy player, Dave Vanden Berg. From there (30th minute) on out, New York lost all interest in attacking or even possessing the ball. As soon as they would win the ball, they would give it the old rec league "boot." They hunkered down and defended the goal box like it was Fort Knox. Somehow this anti-soccer approach ended up working for them as chance after chance for RSL came agonizingly close, but none found the back of the net. Three, count them, three shots clanked off the post. I was completely exhausted after the game, I can't imagine having played in it. It is one thing to lose to a better team who outplayed you, it is a much tougher pill to swallow when the team that ends your season plays rec ball and fakes injury after injury to waste time.

That being said, I will never forget that night. The atmosphere was unbelievable, and the pace of the game was staggering. Kreis has put together a core of players who will be perennial challengers for MLS Cup. I'm excited to see what this group can do next year.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

My deepest condolences.

Jeremy said...

What a joke. RSL fans should have given them real injuries to cry about. Sorry man.

Lacey Jane said...

I feel your pain. We felt like our hearts were toyed with that night...!

Too sad.

But, I'm excited to see what they can do next year!

Ryan (Ranger) said...

I was there, and it was agonizing.
that being said, it was also a lot of fun. I'm excited to catch more games next year.

Shua said...

I couldn't believe all the chances Real had. It was truly amazing some of the through balls we got off and shots we took, not to mention Nat Borchers multiple headers that went just wide or just over. I have to admit though, even with the crappy result, it was an exciting game to watch.

James said...

The saddest part of all is some of the team has to be released because Seattle is coming into the league. I am more bummed about that than about the loss.

KATIE HOFHEINS said...

Oh my gosh! That's the first time I watched the highlights from the game. Three times it hits the post and bounces out! That is sad!!!

Jesse C said...

Well they can only take one player, and there's a chance they might not take anyone. It depends on what they are looking for and who they pick from other teams.