21.11.08

Psyched Out of My Mind About

Okay, I don't think it's really to that extent, but I love to use that expression (from the movie ELF). There are some bands that I've been really enjoying lately and I will list them now. I think what I like about each of them is that the music has a timeless quality to it.

1. The Gaslight Anthem - Have I already mentioned these guys? I don't think I have on this blog. A band from New Jersey who does Bruce Springstein proud, their new album The ‘59 Sound is absolutely worth a listen. Their songs seem to mostly revolve around the ups and downs of growing up. There is an engaging quality to them as they avoid cliché and over dramatization. I was lucky enough to be able to see them open for Rise Against, Thrice, and Alkaline Trio and they did not disappoint.

2. Dusty Rhodes and the River Band - I can't quite put my finger on why I like these guys so much. There is a great deal of variability in their sound as they employ what seems to be multitude of instruments and four band members rotate on lead vocal duty. If I had to explain their sound, it would be gypsy swamp rock. A band that I would definitely pay to see live, although I haven't yet had the pleasure of doing. Lots of talent + good songs = muy bueno.


Song I've been obsessed with:

Wagon Wheel (Old Crow Medicine Show or Tom Gabel of Against Me!, both versions are fantastic) I will include a live clip of Tom Gablel performing it. Apparently the chorus of the song was an unfinished Bob Dylan tune. OCMS added verses and fleshed out the song a couple of years ago, and they certainly did a bang up job. Not an easy task, finishing the song of a legend. My favorite is the guy in the audience who yells out "oh no way, no way!" when he hears Tom play the first couple chords.

4 comments:

Leslie said...

In Cincinnati, the County Inspector was literally named Dusty Rhodes.

Jesse C said...

Shut up, that is awesome. How did you know that?

Leslie said...

Sorry, James corrected me, he was the County Auditor, and the reason that I know, is that EVERY gas pump in the county had an inspection sticker with his name on it.

James said...

I really liked that song.