17.3.09

Greatest Song Challenge

Sorry to post another work related story. I usually laugh at the absurdity of trying to name the "Greatest Of All Time" when it comes to art and music (they are so subjective). However, with March Madness starting, I figured we could have some fun with this. I selected 64 songs from Rolling Stone's Greatest 500 Songs of all Time list.

The songs were randomly ranked, and they will compete head to head with each other in a bracket system. I must say, the first round already has some intriguing match ups (Johnny Cash vs. Hank Williams, or Redemption Song vs. Respect anyone?).

Each week, you will have a chance to weigh in with your vote on the songs in the round. It will be narrowed down to 32, 16, 8, 4, and 2 songs with a champion named on the 29th of April. Click HERE to participate in round one. You can sign up to be reminded to vote in future rounds if you desire.

8 comments:

WICKHAM, DUSTIN D. said...

Wait, I don't get it. How is the victor of a matchup decided? Is it based solely on votes?

Tiffany said...

That was great. Way better than all that basketball stuff.

Jesse C said...

Just on votes. It's a popularity contest really, but the fact that you have to choose between two great songs makes it interesting.

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea Jesse. I seem to have voted against the grain quite a bit. And to all the people that think Free Bird is better than Nuthin' But a G Thang, come on, I'm pretty sure Freebird didn't force all its contemporaries to change their sound while simultaneously introducing the world to one of best rappers of the last 18 years.

Steve P said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steve P said...

his isn't fair i can't choose between these two songs:

Heart of Gold, Neil Young vs. Bohemian Rhapsody, Queen

---

In this one, i had to let my personal top ten album ranking make the choice:
Don't Be Cruel, Elvis Presley Vs StairwayToHeaven, Led Zeppelin (52)

Elvis by a margin of 3 up from Zepp

Anonymous said...

Steve, that was my hardest choice too.

Jesse C said...

I'm glad everyone is having fun with this. I remember as I voted, there were a few that were toss ups.