24.6.09

No Thanks

I was reading my friends/band mates blog about a pretty awkward grocery store experience, and was reminded of a somewhat similar experience I had last year.

Despite my occupation, I rarely make it out to concerts any more. Last year, my company put on a concert for a band that my good friend Jeremy represented as a booking agent. Jeremy and I made plans to meet up at the show and check it out. As we were watching the opening band play I noticed a girl glancing over somewhat frequently, and I figured maybe she thought she knew me. I looked over and determined that I had never met her before. As the bands set ended Jeremy was talking to a coworker, and I noticed the girl heading toward me from my left periphery with a determined stride. Without fully stopping she said, "I'm going to get a drink," motioning to the bar area at the other side of the club, "do you want one?"

I was caught a little off guard. My train of thought went something like this:
>"she's really determined in her stride"
> "I am kind of thirsty."
> "drink" means "alcoholic beverage"
> she's asking me "for a drink."
> this is the non-Mormon way of getting to know other singles.
>"I'm not single."
> "this is the first time I've ever been offered alcohol."
> "That's kind of weird, you would think it would have happened first in High School or College."
> "Answer her, dummy, she's determined in her stride."

She was behind me now, having slowed down to wait for my answer. I turned to face her while the aforementioned train of thought was traveling down the rails of my mind. I'm not sure how long it was from first thought to the "answer her dummy" part, but there were probably some consecutive seconds of awkwardness accompanied by a very dignified "uuuuuuuuuuuuuh." Finally I blurted out, "no, thanks."

"Oh." she said as she continued her determined stride tot the other side of the club.
"I..." I meant to explain that I'm a happily married LDS man who was flattered by her invitation but clearly unable to oblige, but she was long gone.

I don't really know what the point of this story is, but it's funny to look back on. I was like a little peek into a completely different social world, and it was pretty awkward. Let me just say, I don't envy the singles who are trying to work the club scene. Having said that, how could a bar or club be any less awkward than a "linger longer" at a student ward or a cookie and punch social in a Young Single Adult ward?

Conclusion? Being single is full of awkward moments, and it's best to just embrace them. One day you'll look back and have a good laugh.

3 comments:

Annie said...

It's funny becuase it happened to you and not me...oh wait...

Hallie said...

I remember that and it was so funny to be watching it all happen! ah the single life!

Jesse C said...

For some reason, I was thinking it was just me and Jeremy there, that's funny you were witness to it as well.