1.9.10

Is It Really Too Much to Ask?

All we want to do is make a classic, timeless holiday album. How hard could it be? I think I'm starting to side with the majority who think we're crazy for making such an attempt. There's a good chance it will just fall on it's face, but we'll be sure to make it fall with grace. Ooo, I like it. I actually might use that line in a song. Anyway, the songs are progressing and I hope in the end they come across sincerely.

I thought it might be interesting to attach the song notes Jason and I put together for our next session. I don't think it gives too much away.



Back to 337 - Done.

Desperate Husbands - Done.

On This Silent Night - so close.
  • Guitar seems a bit out of tune....?
  • Just a thought...  On the "silent night" part of 2nd verse, we could add a chorus of people singing "silent night"  far in the background...?  Same thing for "On this silent night"...  Not 100% sure if I wanna do that, but I just thought it could sound alright.  Maybe not.
Christmas is Coming - can't wait to see how our last session improvements have gone. Almost done.
  • We really need some strings on this one, too.  For some reason it sounds hollow in comparison to the others.
  • Might need a bit of mixing work, too.  End guitars aren't very full.
Lift Me Up - can't wait to hear the clapping we added.
  • Might be interesting to add reverb to drums....  (Like tons)  Lots of tail.
  • This needs a choir.  End of story.  We've got to get a choir or choir effect on this...  The fast parts would jump right out of the speakers with that.
  • Needs tambourine.  Lots of it.
  • Redo lead vocal
Have I done Any Good? (I forgot about this one...  I love it!)
  • Redo lead vocal track (clicking, and out of tune)
  • perhaps some acoustic guitar at beginning and end.
  • Add "meatier" electric guitar as song builds to the climax.
  • *LOVE* the middle part of this song... 
  • background "Have I Done Any Good" vocals need to be a bit more back...  Or something..  Got to hear the main vocals more on that part.
  • Not crazy about the arrangement in general.  Might not need any work, but we might want to think about what else we could do on the arrangement for this one.
Jimmy and Robert - just started.
  • Needs 2nd and 3rd verse.
  • Gang vocals in the chorus.
  • Electric Guitar.
  • Bass.
  • Claps
  • Drums
Christmas in the UK - Haven't started yet.
  • Piano
  • Acoustic
  • Electric
  • Bass
  • Drums
  • Claps
  • Big BG vocals.
Songs On the Bubble (these may or may not be recorded due to time restraints and other considerations)
  1. The Dawn Will Come
  2. For Unto Us a Child is Born (Handel Cover)
  3. Annapolis (Raise Your Glass)

4 comments:

Tiffany said...

You're not crazy. Well, maybe crazy brilliant. Can't wait to hear the finished album.

And yes, I like the idea of a chorus singing faintly in the background of Silent Night.

Lindy-Lou said...

That was really, really fun to read. I'm here for ya for the clapping. ;) Don't give up on the idea of this album. I for one will listen to it all year long no matter what. My stereo shuffle feature plays an occasional Christmas carol all year long and it's kinda nice.

Jeremy said...

What is 337?

Jason Jones said...

Wow... I've been missing a lot of your posts, Jesse. heh... "What is 337?", you ask? I'll tell you what it is.

It's the song that's gonna smack everyone right between their ears, is what it is.

I cannot wait to release this album. If only there were more than 24 hours in a day. ugh... We'll get there, bro... We'll get there.